Built in 1858, Metropolitan Hall was Rockford’s first public auditorium. Located at 414 East State this historic structure was originally billed as the largest and best Hall west of Chicago. Later in 1887 the building was converted into shops.
Over the years the building has under gone a variety of changes and been home to numerous local businesses. In 1974 the Illinois Historical Society designated the building as an historical structure. Today it is host to shops and upscale condominiums.
In 2007, Mike Harris Mason Contractors was contracted to advise the building’s owner and architect who were planning a full scale renovation and modernization of the structure.